(Photo: Wade Moran/Special for The Republic)
Clare Abel is certified by the Arizona Board of Legal Specialization as a Real Estate Specialist and has been a shareholder with the firm since 1986. She concentrates her practice primarily in the areas of Real Estate, Zoning and Condemnation Law. She also has done substantial work in the area of Administrative Law, specifically liquor licensing matters. She has processed more than 250 liquor license applications and currently serves as the agent on 245 active licenses. Clare is listed in Southwest Super Lawyers, Best Lawyers in America and Arizona’s Finest Lawyers. Clare is a peer review rated AV® Preeminent 5.0 out of 5 attorney by Martindale-Hubbell and is listed in the Bar Register of Preeminent Women Lawyers, which includes only the top 5% of women lawyers in the country.
In her 35 years of practice, Clare has represented clients in a wide variety of industries, including retail, industrial, hospitality, construction and development, as well as individuals and homeowners associations. She is a frequent lecturer on topics related to land use and planning law for various professional organizations.
Honors & Awards
Selected, Best Lawyers in America 2013-2017, Real Estate Law
Selected, Southwest Super Lawyers 2011-2016
Selected, Arizona’s Finest Lawyers 2011-2016
Selected, one of “Most Influential Women in Business”, Arizona Business Magazinbe, 2016
Ranked AV® Preeminent™ 5.0 out of 5* by Martindale Hubbell
*AV® Preeminent ™ and BV® Distinguished™ are certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies.
- Has assisted developers with the preparation of the declarations and related owners associations for more than 75 communities and condominiums including residential, commercial, industrial and mixed use developments, as well as consulting on the documents, status and plans for many other communities in various stages of development and transition
- Processed more than 225 liquor license applications and currently serves as agent for more than 200 licenses.
- Representation of land owners and prospective purchasers in connection with due diligence reviews, development of commercial, office and industrial projects including assembly, rezoning and subdivision of large tracts of land.
- Representation of national retail and restaurant operators in purchasing liquor licenses, processing liquor license applications and appearing at public hearings on liquor license issues.
- Representation of national homebuilders in land use General Plan Amendments, zoning, and subdivision of land as well as negotiation of private and public development agreements, preparation of deed restrictions and creation of homeowners associations.
- Representation of land owners in negotiating public and private easements, development agreements, purchase and sale matters, and related real estate documents.
- Representation of private land owners in real estate valuation litigation including condemnation and property tax appeals.
American Bar Association
State Bar of Arizona
· Section of Real Property Law
Maricopa County Bar Association
Arizona Bar Foundation
Arizona Planning Association
Urban Planning Institute
Home Builders Association of Central Arizona
Presentations and Publications
Contributor, Practical Law Company, 2012 Real Estate Surveys on Real Estate Finance, Leasing and Ownership. www.usld.practicallaw.com. Note: These articles by can be found in our “Resource Center” under the Q&A Guides section.
Lecturer, Planning Law, National Business Institute Arizona Land Use Seminar
Lecturer, The Constitutional Basis for Land Use Regulation, Arizona Planning Association
Founding Board Member, President and Secretary, Self-Employment Loan Fund, Inc.
Board Member,Arizona State University, College of Law Alumni Association
Board Member,O.K. Community Inc.
Junior League of Phoenix Foundation Board, May 2015 through May 2017